Fashion Heaven Rants Exclusive: Olivia Palermo: "I'm inspired by stylish girls"

If you are a devoted follower of MTV, rest assured ‘The City’ would absolutely ring your bell. 

For the uninitiated, ‘The City’ is a reality television series developed and produced by MTV, documenting both personal and professional lives of several young women who live in New York City. 
 
Set in the office of renowned designer Diane von Furstenberg (DVF), the reality series, which was fronted by ‘Laguna Beach’ and ‘The Hills’ alum Whitney Port, has also propelled the career of actress Olivia Palermo to another height.

Apart from her stint in 'The City' as well as her current position as the Executive Editor and Creative Director of her self-titled style and fashion blog (oliviapalermo.com), Palermo is also the current face or brand ambassador for Spanish jewellery brand Carrera y Carrera.

Fresh from debuting her latest advertising campaign for Carrera y Carrera’s latest collection Tesoros del Imperio or Treasures of the Empire, the New York beauty shares her thoughts on the new collection, her personal style, as well as disclosing "old school" beauty tips to Fashion Heaven Rants. 

What are your thoughts on the Tesoros del Imperio collection? 

This collection from Carrera y Carrera is absolutely beautiful. It was a year ago when I first discovered the inspiration behind this collection, and after seeing the final product, I am very pleased.You can see and feel the inspiration of the Spanish Golden Age in every piece. It’s a very extensive collection with pieces for daily use as well as for evening. The rings and earrings this season are very wearable. 

Do you have any favourite piece – or pieces – from the latest collection? 

There are two rings, which belong to the Reina line, inspired by the ruff collars from paintings of the Spanish Golden Age that are absolutely beautiful. They’re made in a mix of white and yellow gold with diamonds, and I love that you can wear them as a set together. With regards to earrings, I love the diamond studs from the Velázquez line. 

Apart from Tesoros del Imperio collection, do you have other pieces that you like most from Carrera y Carrera?

I have a beautiful pair of earrings from Carrera y Carrera that I wear quite often, almost every day. They are a pair of diamond stud earrings made in yellow gold from the Pasodoble collection. I love them. I also think a statement cocktail ring is an investment you’ll have forever. I believe bracelets are a must-have in jewellery as well. 

What inspires your style? 

My style inspiration changes all the time, but I am inspired mainly by stylish girls around the world that enjoy fashion - whether they’re in fashion or not. And of course elements from my travels inspire me too, whether it’s from architecture, art, movies, so forth. 

And how do you describe your personal style? 

I try to dress for myself. I try to add a polished element to everything I wear and always incorporate accessories because they give you that personal touch. 

What it is like to be in your shoes, even if it is just for a day? 

I love my job, and I love the fact that every day is different. I don’t have one day that’s routine. There’s always structure within my day, but I am usually in many different cities in one week. 

What do you think about Spanish fashion scene? 

I think the fashion industry is really growing in Spain. I see all the girls that come onto the webpage, and Spain is definitely up there on our top list of countries that visit us.

As an actress and a public figure, keeping yourself beautiful is certainly a must at all times. Perhaps you can share your beauty secrets with your fans. 

I have quite a few beauty tips. I think that they come mainly from my grandmother and mother - ‘’old school tips’’. I think Vaseline is an important one. A lot of people use make-up remover to remove eye make-up. I prefer the Vaseline route; it’s very clean and easy. I just take a washcloth or towel and remove it. My dermatologist, Dr. Dennis Gross, has an amazing cleanser. Matis Paris makes really nice face serums - I think that serums are better than creams as they are less heavy. And I always wear a sun hat! Keep your face out of the sun! A little colour is good, but not too much. 

What are you listening to at the moment? 

I have a playlist on Songza it’s a great application you can use on your iPhone or iPad. It’s kind of an ecliptic group; it’s like house music and RnB, a little bit of everything. I am a big old school, oldies fan. 

Name one item – a dress, jewellery, anything – that you can’t live or go out without? 

I absolutely love my gold watch that previously belonged to my mother. I wanted it since I was a very little girl, and the day she finally gave it to me I was so happy. It holds very special meaning to me.

The Tesoros del Imperio collection is available at Carrera y Carrera boutiques worldwide. 

*Photos courtesy of Carrera y Carrera. 

Carrera y Carrera - G12, Indulge Floor, Starhill Gallery, 181 Jalan Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur.

Comments

Popular Posts